The top 10 violations seen by OSHA in fiscal year 2018 (in reverse order countdown) are as follows:
If you need help designing a trackable, responsive safety program, please contact Jim Mattes at (586) 778-9900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment—Eye and Face Protection: 1,536 violations
9. Machine Guarding: 1,972
8. Fall Protection—Training Requirements: 1,982
7. Powered Industrial Trucks: 2,294
6. Ladders: 2,812
5. Lockout/Tagout: 2,944
4. Respiratory Protection: 3,118
3. Scaffolds—General Requirements: 3,336
2. Hazard Communication: 4,552
1. Fall Protection—General Requirements: 7,720
The top 10 violations accounted for an estimated total of 32,266 violations, based on preliminary data for FY 2018. Kapust reminded those in attendance that these numbers were only for the federal agency, and did not include violations found by state enforcement agencies.
According to Kapust, FY 2018 is the first time that Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment—Eye and Face Equipment and Fall Protection—Training Requirements have appeared in the list of top 10 violations.