MIOSHA – Lessons from Recent Michigan Worker Deaths: Occupation: Material Handling Truck Operator Type of Injury: Run over by material handling truck Description: A 36-year-old operator was loading garbage at a transfer facility and was run over by a front-end loader. Contact Jim Mattes at 586-778-9900 or email@example.com to help you keep your workforce safe.
Company Safety Tips: Separate the pedestrian and forklift traffic by creating designated walkways or travel ways.
- Restrict people from entering areas where the forklift is operating.
- Ensure the area is well lit and the area is clear.
- Do not load the forklift in a way that restricts the driver’s viewing area
Operator Safety Tips:
- Limit your travel speed
- Avoid driving forklift near areas where pedestrian traffic is high (for example: lunch rooms, time clocks, entrances/exits)
- Sound the forklift horn at intersections
- Always expect the unexpected
Employee Safety Tips:
- Keep a safe distance from the forklift whenever possible
- Always let the driver know you are in the area.
- Attempt to make eye contact with the driver to ensure they have seen you
- Be cautious near blind corners, doorways, and narrow aisles
- Wear high-visibility clothing
- Do not walk near or under raised forks
Don’t ever forget, your family is counting on you to come home from work safe every day.